Thursday, December 13, 2018

Moab and Arches

I decided to make it a short day and only go as far as Moab. That gave me time to take the scenic back way (Hwy 128) along the Colorado river. The low winter light on the red rocks of the canyon made for nice reflections. And the white snow contrasted with the red rock.

from 128 near Moab

from 128 near Moab

bush & rocks reflected

bare bushes against reflections

I spent the afternoon in Arches National Park (of Edward Abbey's Desert Solitaire fame) and hiked into Devil's Garden. As you can see it's a fun mix of terrain.

Devil's Garden

I like good landscape photography but I find it difficult. And I hesitate to photograph iconic scenes, knowing I'm just duplicating numerous other photos. But for a change, I was quite happy with how this shot of Landscape Arch (biggest arch in the world) turned out.

Landscape Arch

It was about +5c, cool in the shade or wind, but pleasantly warm in the sun. There's not much plant or animal life this time of the year. Junipers, of course, and a few yucca's, and prickly pear cactus poking out of the snow.

prickly pear cactus in the snow

Harriman's yucca

snow/frost crystals

rock wall

I was taking photos of a juniper when an insect landed on it. I was surprised to see an insect flying around at such low temperatures. And I think it was a robber fly, and they are hunters like dragonflies. I wonder what it was finding to eat? Maybe the warm sun had woken it up from its winter slumber.

Robber fly ?

There weren't many birds around. A Juniper Titmouse perched in the top of a juniper just long enough for me to snap a few photos.

Juniper Titmouse

A raven in the parking lot (probably scrounging for handouts) was more cooperative. I was trying to "herd" it into better light, with mixed results! I liked the colors reflecting from its feathers. And the intelligent look in its eye.

raven

raven

See all 36 photos from this day

No comments:

Post a Comment