Friday, December 14, 2018

Mesa Verde to Durango

Since I was driving by I decided to stop at Mesa Verde National Park. I didn't realize how far of a drive it was inside the park. Next time I'll allow more time. The old cliff dwellings are amazing, even if only from a distance. As a climber, I was impressed by some of the seeming inaccessible ledges that had buildings on them.

20181212-DSC_3135

20181212-DSC_3145

20181212-DSC_3228

It had been a sunny day with blue skies, but it got increasingly cloudy over the afternoon. By the time I was driving out of the park it was started to snow. I'd been lucky so far this trip with not driving in the snow. It turned into a full blown blizzard with limited visibility and the road covered with snow. Thankfully I didn't have far to go to Durango, and it was mostly divided highway so I could drive slow and let the maniacs pass me in the other lane.

Strangely, the snow stopped a few miles outside Durango. I was worried there would be more snow overnight, but it didn't reach Durango.

Shelley and I often try to find historic hotels, for a change from the chains. I found the Strater in Durango. It also had a nice lounge and restaurant so I didn't have to go out again after a long day. A sign in the hotel said Louis L'Amour (the western author) wrote some of his stories while staying in the hotel.

historic Strater Hotel, Durango, CO

It was back to sunny blue skies in the morning. And the snow never did reach Durango.

No comments:

Post a Comment