Friday, December 21, 2018

Mesilla Valley Bosque State Park

I noticed a sign for this park so after coffee I headed over to check it out. It was still windy, but the rain had cleared and the sun was coming out.

Shortly after starting one of the trails I saw this bird. It was amazingly peaceful. Not only did it sit while I took some photos, it stuck around while I changed lenses and got out my monopod.

Northern Harrier (?)

The photos weren't as sharp as I'd like, but it was a pretty bird. It took me a while to figure out what it was. It looked a bit like a red-tailed hawk, but the head didn't look right. Eventually I decided that it was a Northern Harrier. I didn't think they were usually so brown, but the head matched (and the yellow legs and feet) Also, one of the park staff had mentioned there was a Northern Harrier around.

There were a lot of little white-crowned sparrows around. They were invisible in the bushes until you got close, and then they would all fly away. If you did spot one sitting still it was usually inside a bush where it was hard to get a clear shot. I ignored them at first, but then I tried to take a few photos and got frustrated, which just made me try harder!

White-crowned sparrow

White-crowned sparrow

This next photo was actually a failed attempt to photograph the sparrows, but I like the abstract result.

accidental abstract

There were also quail around but I could barely spot them, let alone get a photographs.

I think I saw a roadrunner at one point, but it ran away before I could get a shot.

There wasn't much else to see other than the bare, dry winter plants.

backlit seeds

backlit cattails

seed pods

No comments:

Post a Comment