Thursday, October 13, 2022

Loreto Birds

Probably the most common birds around Loreto are the Brown Pelicans.

Brown Pelican

They are quite plain this time of year, but more colorful during spring breeding season.

Brown Pelican

The cormorants hang out with the pelicans around the docks.

cormorant

There's almost always at least one Snowy Egret around the harbor.

Snowy Egret

Snow Egret with fish

And often a Great Egret too.

Great Egret

I tend to think of gulls as ubiquitous, but I think this is a Yellow-footed Gull which is only found around Baja.

Yellow-footed gull

And I think this is a Heermann's Gull (juvenile) which is endangered.

Heermann's gull

Blue-footed Boobies also hang around the harbor. I think this is an adult and two juveniles.

Blue-footed Booby

One day we spotted a Green Heron, but it was quite skittish and I had a hard time getting close enough for a decent photo.

Green Heron

The sandpipers are also very skittish. I would have liked my long lens for them (which was, of course, back in our room).

Spotted Sandpiper

On dry land there are White-winged and Common Ground Doves.

White-winged dove

Common Ground Dove

Gila Woodpeckers are also quite common, but you tend to hear them more than you see them because they hide in the tops of the palm trees.

Gila Woodpecker

And up in the sky there are usually Turkey Vultures and Magnificent Frigatebirds. We also saw some Osprey circling above.

Turkey Vultures

Magnificent Frigatebird

There are also some smaller birds like House Sparrows and House Finches. And I think I even spotted some parakeets (not native).

No comments:

Post a Comment