Sunday, October 09, 2022

Santa Barbara Botanic Gardens

Another favorite spot in Santa Barbara is the Botanic Gardens. It was a warm day and there were quite a few lizards around. I think they are Western Fence lizards. If I hadn't seen this one move I never would have spotted it. Even when I pointed it out Shelley couldn't see it. (It's easier to spot in the photo.)

Western Fence Lizard ?

Western Fence Lizard ?

Western Fence Lizard ?

This butterfly (Gray Buckeye) was much more colorful when its wings were open, but whenever it landed it closed them.

Gray Buckeye

I'd been seeing what I thought were Acorn Woodpeckers as we were driving through California, but this was the first one that I managed to get a half decent photo of. They are interesting birds - cooperative breeders in groups of about a dozen, laying eggs in the same nest. They also have granary trees where the drill holes and stash acorns (hence the name).

Acorn Woodpecker

This curious squirrel showed up while we were photographing the woodpecker.

squirrel

There were other smaller birds around, but this was the only one I managed to photograph. I was surprised to look it up and find it's a Western Bluebird (I think). There's not much blue, but that's because it's a female.

Western Bluebird (female)

No comments:

Post a Comment