Thursday, August 08, 2024

Recent Photos

There are a few squirrels around our complex but usually they aren't very cooperative. This one was a bit more tolerant of my photography.

squirrel

The blackberries are ripening and this white-crowned sparrow was taking advantage.

White-crowned sparrow

Whereas this one was too busy singing.

sparrow

I caught these two river otters just as they were heading back into the water.

river otters

This one was just hanging out.

river otter

river otter

I spotted this zebra jumping spider on the wall in the house. It stayed there while I got my camera and macro lens, but then it stopped cooperating and I had to chase it back and forth along the wall to photograph it. This is the only shot where it looked up at me and showed off its 8 eyes. The large main pair of eyes are built like a telescope with two lenses. These are used for hunting.

Zebra jumping spider

Once I start noticing these common green bottle flies, I realized there are lots around. I like their shiny green color and contrasting red eyes.

Common green bottle fly

Another fly I've seen a few times - a yellow-haired sun fly.

Yellow-haired Sun Fly

I thought this was another hover or flower fly, but I think it's a Variable Carder Bee (endangered). They are related to mason bees.

20240803-P8034676-Enhanced-NR

Of course, there are lots of honey bees around.

honey bee on bottle brush

And also quite a few yellow-faced bumblebees.

Yellow-faced bumble bee

There don't seem to be many butterflies around. Cabbage whites are one of the most common.

Cabbage White

And not much freshwater, so not many dragonflies. (They need freshwater to breed.)

Blue-eyed darner

I noticed more wasps than usual around our deck and eventually spotted the start of a paper wasp nest (open cells). I didn't want to kill them but I also didn't want a nest on our deck. I waited till early morning when it was cool and they were less active and washed the nest off the wall with the hose. That probably killed the larva but the adults seemed ok, if a bit shocked at this rude eviction.

European Paper Wasp

The cross orbweavers seem to get more common, or at least more obvious, later in the summer.

Cross Orbweaver

Cross Orbweaver

And if you're not a fan of insects or spiders, here are a few pretty flowers.

Iris

water lily

flower

rose

Hydrangia

I only had my macro lens so I could only capture a small piece of this Peter Pan sand sculpure. This part was Captain Hook and the crocodile, with the clock in the background. (The crocodile swallowed the clock and its ticking was a warning.)

Captain Hook & the crocodile

And a final hazy long distance shot of orcas in the mouth of the harbor. I happened to look up and see a dozen whale watching boats gathered, so I figure there must be orcas. Unfortunately they didn't come any closer and this was the best shot I got.

orcas in the harbor

See all 59 photos in this batch

No comments:

Post a Comment