Sunday, August 25, 2024

Photos of the Week

Out kayaking, I saw a kingfisher again. No fish this time. It would be nice if the background wasn't so busy.

Belted Kingfisher

I thought these were purple martins since their nest boxes are nearby, but these turned out to be barn swallows, and juveniles judging by the white lined beaks. Barn swallows are widespread world-wide, but threatened in Canada. I'm not sure where the nest was. I didn't expect to see them on rocks near the ocean.

Barn Swallows

Barn Swallow

I've seen the otters several times this week. They often come out on the shore to eat their fish or crabs. I've tried to figure out what kind of fish they're catching, but they're hard to identify. Often they are all catching the same kind of fish. Maybe they find a school of them.

River otter with fish

River otter with fish

River otter with fish

I've taken similar photos before but I like the lone heron on the rock.

Great Blue Heron

Great Blue Heron

Great Blue Heron

I was watching this gull, which just seemed to be hanging out, when it jumped in the water and then jumped back out with a crab. Unlike the herons, it hadn't seemed to be watching the water at all. It's a little tricky eating a live crab. The gull managed by pulling its legs off first. Ouch.

gull

gull eating a crab

The harbor seals are still around. The babies are getting big and sometimes it's hard to tell which are mothers and babies and which are adults molting. I think this is a mother and baby.

Harbor seals

I looked up from my book and saw a big fin slicing through the water in front of our place. (an orca) By the time I got my camera and the right lens, I only managed a few shots from the house. It was headed into the harbor so I went out to see if I could spot it on the way back out, but no luck. A few whale watching boats came into the harbor looking for it, but they didn't seem to spot it either. Usually they are in groups but this one appeared to be on its own.

Orca

Some of the last of the roses. I like the colors on this bush.

roses

The wet arbutus bark is almost as colorful as the flowers.

Arbutus bark

See all 30 photos in this batch

No comments:

Post a Comment