Friday, March 01, 2024

Dominical

Dominical on the west (Pacific) coast is a hangout for surfers. We were there to paraglide at a site on the ridge overlooking the ocean. It's one of my favorite sites because you land on the beach and the views of the coast from the air are spectacular. I only took a few photos because we were busy flying.

Dominical Beach

These little Ghost crabs on the beach were well camouflaged and skittish.

Ghost crab

When I took this photo I assumed it was pelicans flying by, but when I looked at it on the computer, I saw it was White Ibis.

White Ibis

The next morning there was a mixed group of Black Vultures and White Ibis scavenging by the beach. It was funny to see the black and white mix.

White Ibis

Scarlet-rumped tanagers are common here. The name obviously comes from the male:

Scarlet-rumped Tanager (male)

The female has quite different coloring:

Scarlet-rumped Tanager (female)

There are quite a few yellow birds here. I'm pretty sure this is a Tropical Kingbird.

Tropical Kingbird

There are so many showy flowers. Quite amazing to a prairie person.

flower

flowers

Passion flower

(I only noticed the hovering insect when I looked at the photo afterwards.)

So far no one on iNaturalist has identified which kind of Anole (a kind of lizard) this is.

anole

There were various butterflies around, but they didn't seem to ever sit still. Perhaps understandable in +35c heat!

Tropical-Checkered Skipper ?

We got rained out from flying one day, but the cloud show was impressive.

clouds

See all 22 photos in this batch

No comments:

Post a Comment