Saturday, March 16, 2024

Tarcoles Birding Lodge

The last night with the group we spent at the Tarcoles Birding Lodge, which coincidentally was next door to Cerro Lodge where I'd stayed at the beginning of the trip. It was brand new, just opened a few months before, by the previous owner of Cerro Lodge. It was quite small, just 6 cabins and a few rooms. The cabins were beautifully done. We were only here overnight, so not a lot of photos for a change.

Tarcoles Birding Lodge

When we arrived there was a Howler monkey in one of the trees. It seemed quite relaxed, moving around and gathering leaves to eat.

Howler monkey

Howler monkey

There were also some Scarlet Macaws eating the seeds/fruit of one of the trees.

Scarlet macaw

Scarlet macaw

I didn't spot a lot of other birds, although I'm sure they were around. I managed a distant shot of this White-crowned parrot.

White-crowned parrot

My best discovery was when I returned to my cabin after supper. There was something on the spotless tile floor. At first I thought it was a leaf or twig but it turned out to be a scorpion. And even more interesting, it was in the process of eating a smaller scorpion! It didn't even run away when I shone bright lights on it and took numerous photographs. It only got worked up when I captured it with a drinking glass and a piece of cardboard. I was quite careful with this process as I had no desire for it to escape and sting me. I must admit I was a bit nervous walking around the cabin in my bare feet afterwards.

Bark scorpion eating a smaller scorpion

Bark scorpion eating a smaller scorpion

I found this interesting spider on a barbed wire fence. And I was able to get through the fence to take photos from both sides. Spiders can look quite different depending which side you see them from. It turned out to be a Silver Garden Orbweaver. I saw a few different Garden Orbweavers on this trip.

Silver Garden Orbweaver

Silver Garden Orbweaver

The lodge (like Cerro) is on the top of a hill, with a nice view towards the ocean and the sunset.

sunset

See all 16 photos in this batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment