Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Amaryllis

One of the benefits of looking after my sister Penny's plants while she's away, is when the Amaryllis flower. There's an extra connection this time because I saw lots of Amaryllis flowers in Costa Rica.

As soon as the buds started to develop I could tell this one would have some nice color. Here's how it looked on the 16th.

Amaryllis

By the 17th it was getting close to opening.

Amaryllis

And this morning (the 18th) it was open when I got up in the morning although not quite all the way.

Amaryllis

What makes these flowers stand out is the right light. I played with natural light and with my led panel light. The challenge with natural light was getting a plain background while still being in the right spot for the sun. Another big factor was how I processed the images. Do I make the background completely white (high key)? Or leave it gray? And how bright do I make the actual flower?

Amaryllis

Amaryllis

The flowers opened up more as the day progressed.

Amaryllis

Amaryllis

I tried some with head on flat light, but I don't like the results as much.

Amaryllis

Except maybe for closeups of the details.

Amaryllis

This is quite a different Amaryllis from the one I photographed last year.

See all 12 photos in this batch

No comments:

Post a Comment