Thursday, March 21, 2024

Recent Photos

A few random recent photos, some of them taken to test a new telephoto lens. I'm not sure whether this hummingbird was getting ready to take off, or just stretching its wings. It happened to be both in focus and at the right angle to catch the iridescence. It looks like it was all puffed up for the cool weather.

Anna's hummingbird

When I took this photo, the magnolia beside our townhouse was just starting to bloom, now there are lots of open flowers.

magnolia

I'm not sure what the flower below is. It started blooming very early in the year.

flower

I don't really need more photos of Canada Geese, but this one was a cooperative subject to test my lens.

Canada Goose

I also have lots of Great Blue Heron photos but I still like to photograph them, especially if I can catch some aspect of their behavior - like swallowing a fish. (with nice backlight)

Great Blue Heron swallowing a fish

The rest of these were taken on my first kayak outing this year. The Coho (car ferry to Port Angeles) seems intimidatingly large when seen from a tiny kayak. In turn, it looks small next to the huge cruise ships (which thankfully haven't started up yet this year).

Coho & Olympic mountains

There were a number of Harlequin ducks on the island in front of our place. I managed a few photos before they got nervous about my presence and swam away. They are attractive birds.

Harlequin duck (male)

As I was paddling by, I checked this tree where I've seen Bald Eagles before. It took me a minute to spot this one. Of course, when I got a bit closer it flew away. I happened to be taking photos just as it launched.

Bald Eagle takeoff

See all 20 photos in this batch

No comments:

Post a Comment