Friday, July 14, 2017

Window Seat

Cedar Waxwing

I glanced up from my computer at work to see a Cedar Waxwing on a tree branch outside. It looked small, perhaps a juvenile? It stayed for a few seconds so I slowly pulled my camera case out of my pack beside the desk and started getting the camera out. Of course, it immediately flew away. I looked around but couldn't see it anywhere so I started putting the camera away. Of course, then it reappeared. I got the camera out again and this time it stayed in sight, although it was hopping and flying from branch to branch making it difficult to photograph. On top of that, the window isn't the cleanest and the camera was struggling to focus at full zoom.

Then a second Cedar Waxwing appeared. The first one started begging and the new one regurgitated something and fed it to the first. This was repeated several times and then they sat quietly on the branch for a short time, seemingly satisfied. I assume the first one was indeed a juvenile, and the second one a parent. Some birds continue to feed their offspring even after they can fly and leave the nest, until they learn to feed themselves. Adult Cedar Waxwings eat mostly berries. The young are fed mostly insects at first and then more berries after a few days. I think I saw a moth like insect being fed at one point.

Cedar Waxwing parent feeding juvenile

They are quite attractive birds with their black bandit masks and flashes of yellow. Outside of breeding season they are usually seen in flocks.

Photos taken with my new Sony RX10m3 at 600mm equivalent, through a window.

No comments:

Post a Comment