Monday, August 27, 2018

Random Shots

I haven't been doing a lot of photography on this trip, but of course, I've been taking some. On the drive down I stopped by the side of the road and noticed the dragonflies and butterflies.

dragonfly

I think this is a Gray Copper butterfly:

butterfly

Strangely, for the middle of a hot day on the prairie, I got attacked by mosquitos. It worried me for the rest of the trip, but they haven't bothered me again. (so far!)

I stopped off in Great Falls where I found Arvon - a nice small hotel in a historic building right downtown. I also found 5th and Wine - a wine bar / restaurant where I relaxed on the outdoor deck with a glass of wine. Walking through the park by the river (Missouri) I noticed this bird emerging from a hole in a brick wall. I'm not sure what kind it is. (maybe a non-breeding European Starling - thanks Penny)

unusual birdhouse

It's late in the season for flowers, but these roses were lovely.

rose

And being a fan of pelicans, I couldn't resist a shot of this mural.

pelican mural

My next stop was Holter Lake, just north of Helena (where I did some paragliding). This chipmunk was busy eating the berries on this bush.

chipmunk

I saw a few of these butterflies with two spots on their wing. Haven't had a chance to try to id them yet. (I think it's a Wood Nymph)

butterfly

These purple flowers were attracting a few different small butterflies. I think this one is a Common Branded Skipper.

butterfly on flowers

If you look close you can see a spider lurking between the two top flowers. It doesn't look like a crab spider though, maybe a wolf spider?

butterfly on flowers

Sitting in my campsite in the evening I heard something tap-tap-tapping on the tree next to me. It took me a while to spot it, and it was tough to get a shot through all the branches. I didn't get a great view but I'm guessing Hairy Woodpecker.

woodpecker (Hairy?)

Sunset from the same campsite.

sunset

Next stop was Helena, Montana. I'm impressed that they turned several blocks of downtown into a pedestrian plaza. It even has a little stream running down part of it. There are also lots of interesting historical buildings. I couldn't find a historic hotel, but the Doubletree is right on the pedestrian mall and their restaurant has an outdoor deck that doesn't even look out on a parking lot!

rocks and ripples

And some flowers of course, with their attendants.

bee on sunflower

I'm guessing this next one is a fly masquerading as a bee. (I think it's a Hover Fly)

bee? fly?

See all 32 photos

No comments:

Post a Comment