Sunday, September 02, 2018

Five Springs

After Helena, I had a couple of days of rainy weather so I took my time making my way over to Billings, stopping at our regular favorite of the Sacajawea Inn in Three Forks near Bozeman. My next destination was a paragliding site we'd found on our last road trip, about 2 hours drive south of Billings on the north western edge of the Bighorn Mountains.  One of the nice things about it is that there are campsites close to the launch. And it was only about an hour to hike back up from the landing to the launch. I camped here a couple of nights while I was flying.

Five Springs campground

There was quite a big waterfall in the canyon behind the lower camp sites. It was probably running more after the recent rain.

waterfall

waterfall

I love the bright colors of this fly mimicking a bumble bee.

Tachinid fly - Adejeania vexatrix ?

I think this cute little fellow is a Green Bergundy Stink Bug (quite the name!)

Green Burgundy Stink Bug

I spotted this Fall Field Cricket from a distance, but when I approached it zipped away and I lost it. After some searching, I found it right at my feet.

fall field cricket - Gryllus pennsylvanicus ?

And more of these Common Branded Skippers

Common Branded Skipper ?

Lots of new observations to post on iNaturalist :-)

It was very peaceful at the lower camp site. Because it was mid-week and the sites were all walk-in (no room for trailers or campers) I was the only one there.

sunset from Five Springs

sunset from Five Springs

See all 21 photos

No comments:

Post a Comment