Monday, August 27, 2018

Murder Mystery

I noticed something on a thistle and went to investigate. It was a small gray moth. (that's a green seed beside it)

moth on thistle

It was awkward to photograph on the underside so I waved my hand underneath, hoping it would move into a better spot. Instead it fell off into my hand. And it was dead. Strange. Why was a dead moth on the underside of the thistle.

moth

What would kill a moth? Maybe a spider? Sure enough, when I looked closer, there was a small crab spider lurking. I'd probably scared it into dropping the moth. Or maybe it had just finished with it. Crab spiders are ambush predators. The moth must have made the mistake of landing on the thistle where it was lurking.

I was able to get the spider to move to where I could photograph it better. It looked like a different kind from the goldenrod crab spiders I usually see at home.

crab spider

No comments:

Post a Comment