Sunday, February 11, 2024

Cerro Lodge

I had a few days before joining my paragliding/nature group so I looked on the internet and ended up at Cerro (hill) Lodge. I didn't know much about it but it looked good to me - small, nature oriented, a decent looking restaurant.

Cerro Lodge

I ended up with a cabin of my own (with three beds!). It has air conditioning but I barely use it. It's hot enough, but it seems wasteful to me. I can sleep even when it's warm. And it does cool off a bit at night.

Cerro Lodge

There is a nice little pool. You can often tell how well a place is looked after by looking at the pool. It doesn't take long to get grungy if it's not constantly maintained. This one looked good.

Cerro Lodge

There wasn't any bougainvillea, but lots of hibiscus.

Hibiscus flower

I got there mid-afternoon so I didn't have time for much the first day. I was happy to see geckos on the ceiling of the restaurant.

House Gecko

The restaurant had a good view of the sunset.

sunset

Supper the first night was highlighted by insects that I assume were attracted to the light. They kept landing on the table beside me where they definitely weren't appreciated. The best one was a praying mantis that landed on the person beside me's back. I wasn't sure about the protocol for photographing insects on a stranger's back. I tried to tell him there was something on his back but it then ran up his back and neck and up to the top of his head and then flew away. Here are two that I did manage to photograph. (with my iPhone)

Longhorn beetle

Katydid ?

My cabin had an outdoor bathroom, which I think is cool, but some of the reviews complained about.

outdoor bathroom

Just before going to bed, I went out to the bathroom. And found a yellow tree frog on the toilet seat. Very cool. I had to go and get my light and macro lens to photograph it.

Yellow Tree Frog

Once I was finished with the photography I gently move it off the toilet seat. At which point I realized there was something else watching me. Can you spot it?

spot the toad

It was a Giant Toad, about the size of half a grapefruit. There was a dripping pipe beside this that kept the dirt damp and it has returned to this exact location each night. I imagine some guests might not appreciate it. Of course, they might not notice it either.

Giant Toad

What most people seem to come here for are the Scarlet Macaws. They have feeders for them on the restaurant patio and they come every day. They seem quite adjusted to people in close proximity.

Scarlet Macaw

Scarlet Macaw

Scarlet Macaw

After feeding, sometimes they fly down to the pool to have a drink.

Scarlet Macaw

The Black Vultures also stopped by to drink from the pool, but they didn't get fed :-)

Black Vulture

There were a variety of other birds around as well.

Summer Tanager (female)

Rufous-naped Wren

Ruddy Ground Dove

Orange-chinned Parakeet

Hoffmann's Woodpecker

When the birds aren't around, I'm just as happy to photograph some of the many butterflies (when they sit still long enough).

Tiger Heliconian

Gulf Fritillary ?

Banded Peacock

White Peacock

Orion Cecropian ?

While butterflies are pretty, I was happy with whatever insects I could find (other than mosquitoes!)

Two-spotted Cotton Stainer

Planthopper

Northern Warrior Wasp

This large (3 inches) Katydid crawled around on the ceiling of the restaurant for most of one day. I like the yellow eyes. I'm sure most people didn't notice it. Luckily it didn't fall in anyone's soup :-)

Leaf Katydid

This scorpion would have been more exciting if it wasn't dead, but it was still neat to see.

Bark Scorpion (dead)

On the more charismatic side, there are also Variegated Squirrels around.

Variegated Squirrel

That's a sampling from my first day and a half. Lots more to come if I can keep up with editing and identifying.

See all 63 photos in this batch

No comments:

Post a Comment