Friday, November 24, 2023

Road Trip Day 6 - Mono Lake

From Lake Tahoe we took a slight detour to Tonopah, Nevada to stay in a favorite historic hotel, Mizpah.

Depending on the altitude, latitude, and moisture, there were still remnants of fall colors around. (I don't think landscape photography is my strong point, but I still try to capture them occasionally.)

landscape

landscape

fall colors

fall colors

We stopped at Mono Lake to look at the "tufas". These are "rock" formations formed by mineral deposits. For some reason they are a common subject for photographers, although usually at sunrise or sunset, not midday like when we were there.

Mono Lake tufas

Mono Lake tufas

I actually liked the countryside around the lake as much as the lake itself - typical sagebrush and rabbitbrush. The first few times I drove south into the US, I was looking for the classic sand and cactus "desert" and I was a bit disappointed with the sagebrush and juniper. But now I quite like it.

eastern Sierras

plants

plants

plants

landscape

See also Shelley's post

See all 21 photos in this batch

No comments:

Post a Comment