Sunday, May 15, 2022

Recent Birds

First, some woodpeckers, although they don't all have "woodpecker" in their names. We saw this Red-breasted Sapsucker at Goldstream right at the beginning of our walk. It stuck around for a while and I took lots of photos, but there wasn't much light in the forest and this was the best I got. I put my long lens on the camera for the rest of the walk, but of course that jinxed me from seeing any more birds.

Red-breasted Sapsucker

This Hairy Woodpecker was also at Goldstream, but on another day. I came around a bend in the trail and there it was on a log right beside the trail in a perfect spot to be photographed. I moved slowly to get my camera out without scaring it away, but then Shelley came up the trail behind me and it flew away. I only managed a couple of photographs. We used to get Downy Woodpeckers (almost identical but smaller, with smaller beaks) at our bird feeder in Saskatoon.

Hairy Woodpecker

We heard this one calling loudly and repeatedly before we spotted it in the top of a tree. Maybe calling for mates? 'Tis the season. We used to see Northern Flickers on our lawn in Saskatoon. They're one of the few woodpeckers that feeds on the ground. I like the spotted feathers on its breast.

Northern Flicker

I was walking home after taking photos of the Arbutus flowers when I saw this Great Blue Heron. Of course, I didn't have my long lens (since I was taking flower photos) but the herons are quite accustomed to people and I got close enough to get some decent photos anyway. It's interesting to watch them fishing. They stare so intently at the water until they spot a fish and go after it.

Great Blue Heron

20220508-P5080366-2-Edit

Success!

Great Blue Heron with fish

No comments:

Post a Comment