Monday, April 20, 2020

Local Interest

I packed my camera gear and headed out to see if I could get some photos of emerging crocuses. As it turned out, I didn't see any crocuses, but of course, I found a few other things to photograph. (Including the salamander I posted about yesterday.)

I barely made it through our back gate when I saw the flock of Bohemian Waxwings. There seems to be a lot of them around this spring. They were feeding on berries in a neighbor's tree, perching in other trees, and swooping down to drink from puddles in the alley. And they didn't spook and all fly away when I appeared :-)

Bohemian Waxwings

Bohemian Waxwings

Bohemian Waxwings

Drinking buddies :-)

Bohemian Waxwings

Bohemian Waxwings

Crossing the bridge I spotted an American Coot on the river. They are common, but I don't usually see them on the river. They prefer still water. I would like to see the bizarre chicks sometime. Their feet are also quite different.

American Coot

From a distance, at first I thought these were Common Mergansers (similar females). Or maybe Common Goldeneye (black and white head with yellow eye). But looking at the photos afterward I'm pretty sure they were Hooded Mergansers. I don't see them on the river much either. The wind was blowing their feathers the wrong way and giving them a bad hair day.

Hooded Mergansers

The next subjects I see all the time, but they're still fun to photograph. Although they tend to be skittish when you stop and pay attention to them.

gopher (Richardson's Ground Squirrel)

gopher (Richardson's Ground Squirrel)

Alarm calls to let everyone know there's an intruder.

gopher (Richardson's Ground Squirrel)

gopher (Richardson's Ground Squirrel)

And a few abstracts to finish off. Anyone know what kind of bushes these are?

bare bushes

ice

See all 32 photos in this album

No comments:

Post a Comment