Saturday, April 18, 2020

Backyard Visitors

One of the advantages of working from home is that my office window looks over the backyard and I see the birds that come to visit. Mostly it's the usual suspects, sparrows, chickadees, magpies, and crows. Last summer a white pigeon perched in a tree in our backyard most days. The other day it was the neighborhood Merlin with breakfast (looked like a sparrow).

Yesterday was a pair of Blue Jays. Usually I hear them before I see them, but this pair was being quiet for a change. They hung around for a while so I got my camera and opened my window (thankfully the weather has warmed up!) However, they weren't very cooperative subjects. They'd perch in a perfect position, I'd line up for a shot, and they'd move. Patience is the name of the game, but theoretically I was working, so how long do I wait for the stars to align? I compromised, alternating watching and working. Finally I got a few shots. They really are quite beautiful birds. And they seem to be getting more common these days.

Blue Jay

Blue Jay

Blue Jay

Of course, since I was watching, I noticed other birds, like this bright red robin. I realize the one I photographed the other day must have been a juvenile with its lighter mottled breast.

Robin

There were also some House Sparrows around. They may be common and non-native (introduced from Europe in the 1800's), but I still like them.

House Sparrow (male)

Of course, spring is the time for raising a family. And this pair of sparrows appeared to be moving into one of our birdhouses. Do you think she's impressed by his singing?

House Sparrow pair

House Sparrow (female)

House Sparrow (female)

House Sparrow (female)

House Sparrow (female)

See all 14 photos in this album

No comments:

Post a Comment