Sunday, April 26, 2020

Crocus

Prairie Crocus

The earliest I've photographed crocus flowers is April 3. It's not unusual for the flowers to get snowed on, or at least frost. With this years cold spring, they were late emerging, and there still aren't a lot of flowers open. It's also common for the bees and flies to be visiting the flowers since they are the first to be open. But I didn't spot any this time. I guess they must be late too, although there are a few insects appearing. I saw my first Mourning Cloak butterfly (they overwinter as adults) but it didn't cooperate to be photographed.

Prairie Crocus

Once the snow is gone I start looking for them. I always think they should be preceded by leaves, but instead the flower stalks seem to emerge from nothing.

Prairie Crocus

Although often in clumps. Occasionally there are signs of them being nibbled on, but their defense is that they are poisonous.

Prairie Crocus

It's nice to see there are a few left on the riverbank in the city. I cherish the small remnants of nature left within walking distance. Usually once the ground is disturbed the crocuses are gone. This is likely because they require a partnership with fungi in the soil.

You would think that an early blooming flower would be found on south facing slopes, and apparently that is the case further north, but in the dryer south they are often found on north facing slopes. Maybe because they have more moisture? The spots I visit are mostly flat, but slope slightly to the north.

Prairie Crocus

See all 11 photos

No comments:

Post a Comment