Tuesday, July 09, 2019

Woodpeckers

Walking to work, I spotted a small (presumably Downy) woodpecker on a tree. Then I realized there were two of them.

Downy woodpeckers

I backed away and got out my camera, but of course, by the time I was ready they had moved up the tree out of sight. They proceeded to hop around and fly from tree to tree. At some point a third one joined them. Unfortunately, they didn't cooperate with photographs so none of my shots came out very well.

Usually I see these guys on their own. This was the first time I'd seen three together. I wonder if they were recently fledged juveniles?

Downy woodpecker

They weren't very easy to see unless you were following them, so the people passing by were all curious what I was trying to photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment