Thursday, July 18, 2019

Macro

For a change I decided to take my "big" camera (Nikon 7200) with the macro lens with me to work. I must confess, I'm addicted to zoom lenses, and it actually made me nervous to only have my fixed focal length macro lens with me. But it was fun to be able to get some better closeups. And it's a fine general purpose lens as well. Luckily I didn't see any birds that would have required a telephoto.

There appear to be at least two different kinds of water striders on the pond. They move around on four legs, and the other two front legs are used to catch their prey, somewhat similar to praying mantis. (They're insects and therefore six legged.)

water strider

water strider

The damselflies are numerous and busy mating.

damselflies mating

And judging by the exuva (shed skin) there are quite a few dragonflies emerging from the pond. (Their nymphs are aquatic and predators like the adults.)

dragonfly exuva

I only found one fishing spider and it was too far away (and half in the shade) to get a good shot. (This is cropped substantially.) It looks like another pregnant one.

pregnant fishing spider

Of course, there are lots of other spiders around as well. I keep looking in the flowers for crab spiders, but I haven't spotted many this summer.

spider

I always enjoy the water lilies

water lily

water lily

I love the details of their flowers

water lily closeup

water lily closeup

The hibiscus are another favorite. I have lots of favorites :-) (This is two handheld shots focus stacked, as you can tell from the ghosting in some parts.)

Hibiscus

They have interesting details too

Hibiscus closeup

Another colorful flower

flower

Some of the ornamental grass was flowering. I had a hard time catching it when it wasn't blowing in the wind!

grass flowers

I even managed a few reflection shots

pond reflections

water

See all 21 photos in this album

No comments:

Post a Comment