Sunday, July 07, 2019

Local Nature

A bee on a flower, that's normal. But not moving, that's unusual. Looking closer, it appeared to be dead. I had my suspicions, but it wasn't till I zoomed in on the photographs that I confirmed a crab spider had ambushed the bee. If you look close you can see its pale legs and body.

bee caught by crab spider

Of course, I also keep an eye out for the fishing spiders. They are easiest to spot when they are out sunning on a warm day.

fishing spider

And it's the time for them to be raising a new generation. This one was carrying its egg sac around.

fishing spider with eggsac

The dragonflies and damselflies are also out.

Meadowhawk dragonfly

damselfly

I noticed a white patch on some grass and when I looked closer it was a pair of moths, perhaps mating? Nice yellow edges.

moths (mating?)

This White Admiral butterfly was in a perfect position to be photographed, but by the time I got my camera out it had flown up into a tree and I didn't get a very good shot.

White Admiral butterfly

And the flowers are out in full force as well. The native crocuses are long past, but this cultivated one was still blooming.

crocus

There are pond irises as well as regular ones.

yellow pond iris

iris

The bees seem to like the cornflowers.

bee on cornflower

And the water lilies are starting to bloom.

water lily

Summer is a good time for nature photography!

See all 20 photos

No comments:

Post a Comment