Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Bosque de Paz - Part 2

Continuing from Part 1. I really enjoyed the trails around Bosque de Paz. I usually got out on them several times a day for an hour or two. I can't say I saw a lot since it's dense forest, but there was always something. And it was very peaceful - no one else seemed to get more than a few hundred yards from the lodge.

forest

One day I glimpsed some movement in the treetops and was happy to see a White-faced Capuchin monkey.

White-faced Capuchin monkey

Coincidentally, when I got back to the lodge, a group of them went by in the tree tops. They looked like they were feeding on the bromeliads.

White-faced Capuchin monkey

The coatimundis were more frequent visitors. They came every morning to get the food that was put out for them. I don't totally agree with the idea of feeding wild animals, but I have to admit we'd be unlikely to see them otherwise. Coatis are related to raccoons and their range includes the southern US, although I've never seen them there. They were obviously accustomed to the food but were still quite skittish. Once a dog barked in the distance and they scattered instantly.

Coatimundis

Coatimundi

Coatimundi

The agoutis also came for the food. They are related to guinea pigs, but larger.

Agouti

Agouti

And the last of the furry creatures were the Red-tailed squirrels.

Red-tailed squirrel

Red-tailed squirrel

Leaf mimicry is most common in insects, but can also be found in reptiles, amphibians, and even fish. I found this Leaf Katydid on the stairs to my room. Love the shiny red and turquoise eyes.

Leaf katydid

One of the staff found this stick insect - also well camouflaged. It was large, with a body about 6 inches long and antennae that were almost as long again. I should have moved it to a more natural setting, or at least a plainer background. They are almost impossible to spot in a bush or tree.

stick insect

I only saw a few butterflies.

Silver-plated Skipper ?

Julia Heliconian

Two-barred Flasher skipper butterfly ?

Most people won't be excited, but there were a few interesting flies

fly

This beetle wasn't very big, but it was certainly shiny!

Shining Leaf Beetle

Not so flashy but nicely patterned:

longhorn beetle

And plain black, but still fascinating:

Bess Beetle ?

At one point I noticed the ground was swarming with ants. I found out later (via iNaturalist) that they are army ants, and the only species in Costa Rica where the raids are spread out carpet-like rather than in a column. They don't have permanent nests. Instead they have temporary "bivouacs" formed by workers bodies.

army  ants

One of my favorite finds was this Emerald Glass Frog. ("glass" because they are almost transparent) I almost walked right by this flower with a green spot. I was afraid it would hop away and I'd lose it in the vegetation. I took photos from a distance and moved closer cautiously, but it didn't seem to care and never moved. I love the eyes.

Emerald Glass Frog

20240305-P3050409-Enhanced-NR

Emerald Glass Frog

Of course, there were lots of interesting plants. I liked the variety of fruits and seeds, with 3, 5, and 6 way symmetry.

Ox-eye bean ?

seeds/fruit

fruit/seeds

fruit & seeds

I did most of my walks with my telephoto lens on one camera, and closeup macro lens on the other. If I wanted something in the "normal" range I ended up using my iPhone. Like for this morning with the sun shining through the fog.

sun through fog

sun through fog

Mostly I was busy taking photos of living things, but I did take a few abstracts.

raindrops on leaf

flowing water

reflections

And that's finally the end of my Costa Rica photos. I took over 8000 photos and was pretty happy to have the opportunity to photograph such amazing wildlife. I hope you enjoyed them even a fraction as much as I enjoyed taking them.

See all 178 photos from Bosque de Paz (there are two pages of them, once you hit the bottom of the first page you can go to the next)

No comments:

Post a Comment