Monday, April 15, 2024

Buzzzzzz

I was standing by our bookcases, looking at a book, when I noticed a buzzing sound. At first I thought it was coming from the speakers on the bookcase but it wasn't. I looked behind the cabinet in the corner to see if there was some kind of power adapter plugged in back there. Instead, I found a spider that had caught a fly in its web. The fly was trapped but it was still making a buzzing sound with its wings. By the time I returned with my camera the spider had already wrapped up the fly and was busy feeding on it. (Spiders feed by injecting digestive fluids and then sucking out the result slurpee.) Earlier I had been annoyed by a fly buzzing around in the house so I guess I should be thankful the spider dealt with it. Judging by the wrapped remains on the floor underneath it had taken care of several before this one.

Cellar Spider ?

I think it's a kind of cellar spider, probably a long bodied since that's by far the most common. Confusingly, cellar spiders are sometimes called "daddy long-legs" but that name is also used for Harvestman which look similar, but aren't actually spiders.

And in case you're wondering, no I didn't evict the spider. It'll die or move on before too long and then I'll vacuum up the leftovers. Meanwhile, we'll have less flies in the house :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment