Sunday, April 14, 2024

Bougainvillea

I'm still learning what to expect from my Bougainvillea. It's probably not the best choice of house plant for a northern location but it's a favorite so I'm trying. Last fall it dropped all its flowers and then all its leaves. I was concerned but it grew a new set of leaves for the winter (but no flowers). Recently, I've been putting it in the sun room during the day to get some sun and warmth and it has responded by starting a new crop of flowers. When they're just starting it's more obvious that the "petals" are actually modified leaves. At the same time it is starting to drop the winter leaves. Presumably it'll grow a new set for the summer. I'm not sure what triggers the changes. Length of day? Amount of sunlight? (not much here in the winter) Warmth? (the house gets cool at night in the winter) If it's light, I wonder if a sun lamp would keep it flowering in the winter? But how much power would that waste?

Bougainvillea

Bougainvillea

Bougainvillea

Bougainvillea

Bougainvillea

See all 10 photos in this batch

3 comments:

  1. LOL. In my house in the tropics, bougainvillea is practically a weed. You need to move further south than Victoria, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I do admire your efforts to grow one in Canada. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Considering I've never been a gardener, I should have picked an easier plant! But it reminds me of warmer places.

    ReplyDelete