Saturday, October 14, 2023

Return of the Harlequins

I did my weekly long run yesterday since it was supposed to rain today. But it was calm and sunny first thing this morning so I got out kayaking. As I paddled around the little island in front of our place I spotted a pair of Harlequin ducks. Now I know winter is coming. They were shy at first, swimming away faster than my slow unobtrusive paddling.

Harlequin Duck (male)

I was just about ready to give up and leave them in peace when they got out of the water and stood on the shore for me to photograph.

Harlequin Ducks

As usual with birds it's the male that's colorful. I probably wouldn't recognize the females if they were on their own.

According to iNaturalist the peak months for observations in BC are October and March so I guess they are on schedule. We usually have a few around all winter.

See also my previous post with more photos

No comments:

Post a Comment