Monday, July 03, 2023

Orcas

We were watching TV when I noticed our neighbor had come out on the lawn and was looking at something on the water. We went out on our deck to see what was happening. It turned out to be a group of orcas in the mouth of the harbor. I rushed to get my camera, long lens, and tele-extender. By the time I got organized they were already starting to move further away. They were about half a kilometer away when I took these photos.

orca

orca

The kayakers and the people on the point must have got a great view of them.

orca

It was hard to tell how many there were since they were popping up one or two at a time. I would guess there were 4 or 5.

orca

Shelley ran and got my tripod, but I didn't have the right mount handy so all these were shot handheld, at 1100 mm equivalent. Once more I'm impressed with the image stabilization.

It was pretty cool to see them, even if it was from a long distance. Last summer some came into the harbor but I missed them, so I was glad to catch them this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment