Sunday, July 16, 2023

Harbor Seals

Out kayaking again, I came across these two harbor seals hauled out on a small island. I've seen seals hauled out in this area before, but it's a little farther than I usually go. The water was quite calm and the wind was pushing me slowly towards them - good conditions for photography. I got so preoccupied with taking photos that I drifted a little too close to them. I slowly started paddling backwards, but the smaller one (female?) gave me a look, slid into the water, and disappeared. (The larger one completely ignored me.)

Harbor Seals

Harbor Seal

Harbor Seal

I didn't see the fawns this time, but some of the other usual suspects were around.

river otter

I've seen two bald eagles around this spot (maybe a pair?) but this time there was only one.

Bald Eagle

raccoon

I also heard and caught a glimpse of a kingfisher, but no photos. I haven't noticed any lately so it was good to know at least one was still around.

See all 14 photos in this batch

No comments:

Post a Comment