Sunday, February 19, 2023

Victoria Butterfly Gardens

I always enjoy visiting butterfly gardens. It's a chance to photograph a bigger variety in more abundance than outdoors. We'd been meaning to go to the Victoria Butterfly Gardens since we move here. We'd gone years ago when visiting. It was a challenge to try to identify the butterflies afterwards. Some are listed on the web site. The rest I relied on the iNaturalist Seek app.

The first thing you see when you walk in is the big leaf cutter ant colony. It's interesting how there are such different sizes of ants or presumably the same species. The big one might be some kind of soldier. I'm not sure what the role tiny ones would be.

Leaf cutter ants

I'm not sure what this one is. Some kind of mantis maybe?

insect

A very large katydid! It was about 4 inches long.

Giant Katydid

I love the colors on this beetle.

shiny beetle

Of course, the main attractions are the butterflies.

Lime Swallowtail ?

Zebra Longwing ?

Asian Swallowtail

Great Eggfly ?

I used both my macro lens and my all purpose telephoto. The telephoto is definitely more versatile, but the quality was noticeably better with the macro lens. There wasn't a lot of light so I cranked up the ISO to 1600.

Cattleheart butterfly ?

Julia Heliconia ?

Rice Paper Butterfly

Some of the butterflies were a little ragged.

Asian Swallowtail (female) ?

There were some other creatures in with the butterflies.

Red-footed tortoise

Common Wall Lizard

Zebra Finch

Blue and Gold Macaw

bird

Koi

See all 53 photos in this batch

No comments:

Post a Comment