Monday, September 12, 2022

Butchart Gardens

Italian garden

A couple of weeks ago we went out to Butchart Gardens with my sisters. On top of wanting to have one last "summer" visit, they wanted to see the Dahlias since this was their peak time. Although only a small area of the gardens, they were quite impressive, with a lot of variety. Be prepared for an overdose of color!

flower

flower

flower

flower

flower

flower

flower

flower

Despite all the flowers, we didn't see many hummingbirds. I heard this one and finally spotted it in the top of a tree. And it even sat still long enough for me to switch to my telephoto lens.

Anna's Hummingbird

At the other extreme, this bird kept approaching too close for the telephoto and I had to keep backing up. I think it's a juvenile Brown-headed cowbird. I'm not sure why it wanted to get so close. Perhaps people had been feeding it?

Brown-headed cowbird (juvenile)

And finally, one of the many Hydrangia around this time of year. Apparently the small ones in the center are the "real" flowers and the larger flowers are sterile, for show to attract pollinators.

Hydrangia

See all 23 photos in this batch

No comments:

Post a Comment