Saturday, August 13, 2022

Neighbors

I finally got up the nerve to take my good camera out in the kayak. There hasn't been a lot to see, but the last couple of times I've seen an osprey and a kingfisher. I'm not too worried about tipping the kayak, except when I'm getting in or out, when there's always a chance on the slippery seaweed covered rocks. I keep the camera in a dry bag clipped to the kayak when I'm not using it.

I decided to start by going around the little island (Colvile) in front of our place. The first thing I saw was this ochre sea star. Purple is the most common color, but they can be orange, yellow, reddish, or brown. Sea star wasting disease has killed a lot of the sea stars, so it's good to see them around. I saw a few more on the island, mostly tucked away in corners and crevices.

Ochre Sea Star

Continuing around the tiny island, I spotted a bunch of small shore birds. They were quite skittish, moving away as soon as I got close. And even when they didn't move away, they were in constant motion hunting and pecking in the seaweed. My latest camera (OM Systems OM-1) has AI bird detection, but I couldn't remember how to turn it on, and in the process of trying I was changing all kinds of other settings. In the midst of trying to get some photos, and steer the kayak from drifting into the rocks, it was a bit of a challenge. I did eventually get it turned on and it did seem to help. Taking photos with a long telephoto from a rocking kayak is always a fun challenge. Later, with the help of the iNaturalist Seek app, I identified them as Black Turnstones.

Black Turnstone

Black Turnstones

Moving further around the island, I first heard and then spotted a pair of Killdeer. Although they are known as shorebirds, I've actually seen them more often in dry grasslands (which is where they breed).

Killdeer

Killdeer

There's often a Great Blue Heron on the island. I'm not sure if it's the same heron or just a good spot for herons in general. When they catch small fish they often shake them, maybe to kill them? I caught the spray from this one.

Great Blue Heron

I must have got a little too close because it took off and flew to the main shore, where I got a few more shots.

Great Blue Heron

The evening before, we'd spotted another visitor to the island - a mother harbor seal and her baby. (We saw a similar mother and baby last August.)

mother Harbor Seal and baby

By the time I made two slow loops around the tiny island it was time to head home. It's great to find so much of interest so close, despite being in the city.

See all 16 photos in this album

No comments:

Post a Comment