Monday, August 22, 2022

Macro

I've been meaning to do some macro photography indoors where I can set up a little better. As I was getting organized, this spider walked across the floor so it was my first subject. I think it's an Ant Mimic Spider.

Ant-mimic spider ?

Ant-mimic spider ?

What I was planning to take photos of was one of the ubiquitous Yellow Shore Crabs. Turn over a rock on the beach and you're liable to find these. I didn't pick the best time as the tide was high and there wasn't much beach. I could only find a couple of tiny ones (about 1/2 inch).

Yellow shore crab

Yellow shore crab

While I was searching for crabs I came across this hermit crab (Pacific Hairy perhaps?) with a shell that hardly seemed big enough.

Pacific Hairy Hermit Crab ?

Pacific Hairy Hermit Crab ?

In case you're wondering, these were all alive and well and released back where I found them. (Except the spider, it got moved outdoors.)

Here's my quick and dirty "studio":

macro studio

Gear: OM-1 camera, macro lens, Really Right Stuff tripod and ball-head, Lume Cube led light (plus lots of natural light). The white bowl makes a good seamless background and it's generally too slippery for small creatures to climb out of. (As long as they don't jump or fly.)

No comments:

Post a Comment