Monday, January 03, 2022

Running

I finished up 2021 with my mileage for the last few months of 240, 250, 260, and in December 300 km. That progression was a bit of a surprise. I wasn't particularly trying to increase my mileage. And in December, it was in spite of record rain, record cold, and record wind, not to mention snow and ice. I haven't managed a run longer than 15 km in the last few weeks due to the weather. On the other hand, it wasn't -40 like Saskatoon! My total mileage for 2021 was 2900 km and I'll likely hit 3000 for a 12 month period before too long.

I went out this morning to try for a good time on a Strava segment and managed to set PR's for the kilometer and the mile. Despite getting soaked by the rain, and having to dodge around leftover snow and ice, I would have made top 3 for my age group (55-65) on the segment, but I messed up and didn't start in quite the right spot :-( Oh well, it's good motivation to try again.  (These "PR's" are since I got back into running in my 50's, I was faster when I was younger.) Getting competitive over a Strava segment is pretty meaningless, but on the positive side, it motivates me to do a little faster running to balance out all the longer slower runs.

With no travel because of Covid, and therefore no paragliding or scuba diving, I'm grateful that running is one of the things I can still continue to do.

As always, I am thankful that I am healthy and fit enough to run like this. I know not everyone is so lucky.

Best wishes to everyone for 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment