Sunday, November 21, 2021

85

Somewhat unintentionally, I ran 85 km in the last week. That's a record for me. My average for the last 12 months is just over 50 km per week. The last 6 months it's closer to 60 km. A few years ago when I was struggling with IT band and foot problems I was only managing 35 km a week. I would never have imagined I could run this much in a week (and feel good afterwards).

A couple of days ago I wondered why I was feeling a little sluggish on my run. When I noticed I was at 75 km for the previous 7 days that explained it.

Of course, 60 km or even 85 km per week isn't much by pro runner standards, but I'm not a pro runner, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Today I was thinking I'd do about 20 km. I wasn't really due for a long run, but it looked like the best weather opportunity for the next little while. (I find myself adjusting my running schedule to the weather a lot more here in Victoria than I did in Saskatoon.) I took it easy and felt pretty good so I ended up doing 26 km, including a loop of trails around Thetis Lake. The last few kilometers I was a bit tired but that wasn't surprising.

Although it's going well, I'm quite aware that could change at any time, and the more I do, the bigger the risk. Any of my past problems could reappear at any time (or new ones). With that in mind, it's probably time to take an easier week and give my body a chance to recover fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment