Sunday, May 16, 2021

Photos of the Week

An evening walk by the river rewarded me with a few nice birds. There were several Spotted Sandpipers, but like many shore birds they were quite skittish and wouldn't let me get too close.

Spotted Sandpipers

The warm weather is bringing out clouds of insects as you can see if you look closely in this next shot.

Spotted Sandpiper

I heard the call of the Killdeer before I saw it. I knew I'd heard that call before, but didn't identify it until I saw the bird. They are only part-time shore birds, often found away from water as well. It was watching me as I slowly tried to move closer. But I'm not sure why it did that with its head turned 180 degrees!

Killdeer

Of course, there were Canada Geese around too.

Canada Geese

Canada Geese

I can never resist the reflections.

ripples

Down the back alley a flowering bush is poking through the fence.

flowering bush

And, of course, the dandelions are out in force. They're hated by the lawn fanatics, but I like them. They are an important spring source of nectar for pollinators. What looks like a single flower is actually a composite of many small florets. Curiously, they can produce seeds asexually, without pollination.

dandelion

No comments:

Post a Comment