Sunday, April 21, 2019

Crocuses and more

I hadn't been back to see the crocuses since they were first emerging, so I grabbed a coffee and my macro lens and went to have a look. I sat and drank my coffee and admired the flowers. It seemed like a good crop this year, although it depends so much on when you visit - both time of year and time of day.

prairie crocus

I've taken lots of crocus photos over the years, so I hesitate a bit to take any more. But there's always a new angle to explore.

prairie crocus

With the macro lens on, I was mostly shooting closeups of individual flowers.

prairie crocus

But there were a few nice groups as well.

prairie crocus

I love how furry they are. (It helps insulate and conserve moisture.)

prairie crocus

The bees were also loving the first flowers of spring. They were mostly trying to get to the base of the flowers, but in the process they were getting covered in pollen, and no doubt spreading it around.

bee on prairie crocus

There were at least two different kinds. One with a red abdomen, and one with stripes.

bee on prairie crocus

Most of the time they didn't sit still and you just had to shoot lots and hope to catch them. But occasionally one posed for its portrait.

bee on prairie crocus

It was windy, which made photography a little tricky, but it was also a bright afternoon which helped (by allowing fast shutter speeds).

I was trying to photograph a patch of crocuses when something else showed up in the frame - a 13-lined ground squirrel. I don't see them as often as the Richardson's.

13-lined ground squirrel

Despite their bold stripes, they blend in well with the grass.

13-lined ground squirrel

Of course, there were regular "gophers" (Richardson's ground squirrel) too.

gopher (Richardsons ground squirrel)

gopher (Richardsons ground squirrel)

There was also a tiny (1/4 inch) white flower. Thanks to Meghan Michelson, I think it's moss phlox.

moss phlox (?)

See all 41 photos in this album

No comments:

Post a Comment