Thursday, October 06, 2016

Venice

With the weather unsuitable for paragliding, we ended up with almost a full day in Venice. I had mixed feelings about it. On one hand I'd never been to Venice and it's a unique place and a favorite with many photographers. On the other hand I knew it would be overrun by tourists (even in off season) and full of tourist shops. In the end, I'm glad I've seen (a little bit of) it, but I'm not in a hurry to get back.

We stayed at a hotel in the country outside Venice. The only hitch was that a wedding party had booked the restaurant so we had to drive into the nearest town and find some place to eat. We had a few minutes to look around the grounds before we left in the morning. I liked this old weathered statue.

statue

Of course, the defining feature of Venice is that there are no cars or roads for them. (Which I love!) Instead there are pedestrian walkways and numerous canals. The smaller canals often have buildings backed right up to them, with no walkway alongside. Many of the squares and walkways were packed with tourists, but you could also get off the beaten path and get away from the crowds. (At the risk of getting lost among the narrow walkways and dead ends.)

Venice

Of course, I found some reflections in the canals.

Venice reflections

The gondolas are cute, but almost as touristy as the ones in Las Vegas.

Untitled

My favorite parts were the small corners and details:

Venice

Venice

Venice

Venice

flowers

For more of these, see all 33 photos as a slideshow or overview

No comments:

Post a Comment