Saturday, September 13, 2014

A Walk in the Dark

After supper the other evening I decided to go for a walk. I thought I'd catch the last of the low sun but I was a little late and it had already gone down. My next thought was that maybe I'd catch sight of the beavers or other animals that come out at dusk. But apart from a lone duck I didn't see any wildlife. There were no clouds so there wasn't even much color in the sky.

Untitled

Airplanes were leaving trails in the cloudless sky that were high enough to be lit by the sun despite it being below the horizon.

Untitled

Of course, there are always images to capture. I never tire of the water, the way it moves, the way the light reflects off it, the lines and shapes it makes. This photo had almost no color to start with, so black and white was an obvious choice. (ripples from a rock just under the surface)

ripples

As I get further into photography, I think more about lines, shape, texture, and color. Although nature is still my first love, I can get drawn into more abstract embodiments of these things.

Untitled

This one above is somewhat more processed, but still not too far from the original. As it got darker, I noticed the reflections of the streetlights on the bridge dancing on the water. The original images didn't really capture the feeling I wanted so I started to play more with the color and contrast. (It wasn't really this colorful.)

Untitled

By the time I took this next one (looking straight down from the bridge) my shutter speeds were getting quite slow (even at ISO 3200) - 1/15 of a second was long enough for the points of light to trace out paths on the water.

Untitled

See all 10 photos as a slideshow or overview

2 comments:

  1. These are really quite fantastic!! Color me green :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pictures, Andrew! I love looking at water, too, and the play of light on the water. I get to see lots of it around here.

    ReplyDelete