Sunday, October 04, 2026

Kingfisher

As the days grow shorter, my morning walk before work is getting too dark for photographs. But I was a little later this morning since it was the weekend, so I took my camera.

I heard this Belted Kingfisher, but I couldn't see it at first. I went out on a rocky point that overlooks a tree where they perch sometimes, and there it was. I often hear and see kingfishers, but they seldom sit still. For some reason, this one stayed in one spot for a long time, giving me ample time to photograph it, although the combination of dark shade and bright sun was challenging. It would have been nice if it had faced me, but you can't have everything! It was quite a long way away, so I was glad to have my longest telephoto lens, and to be able to sit on the ground and brace the camera. 1200mm handheld is a stretch. Thank goodness for image stabilization.

Belted Kingfisher

I tried it in black and white since that's often better for high contrast, but I think I like the blue gray feathers better.

Belted Kingfisher

After a while it moved a few feet to a different branch where there was a different background. When I eventually left it was still perched there.

Belted Kingfisher

See all the photos in this batch

No comments:

Post a Comment