Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Cicada

This Cicada flew into our van as we were getting ready to visit the Bighorn Medicine Wheel. It sat quite peacefully to have its picture taken. I've seen these cicada around Five Springs before but I wasn't expecting one at almost 3,000 m (10,000 ft) with snow all around. I assume these are annual cicadas, as opposed to periodic cicadas that synchronize their emergence every 13 or 17 years (note the prime numbers to make it less likely predators will synchronize). Annual cicadas still spend up to 9 years underground as nymphs, but they are not synchronized so some emerge each year. You may not have seen a cicada, but you've probably heard them.

Cicada

Cicada

And a photo of me and the cicada, courtesy of Shelley. (my new profile picture on iNaturalist)

Cicada

No comments:

Post a Comment