Sunday, July 04, 2021

Waskesiu Photos

While we were at Waskesiu for my run of the Grey Owl trail we did several shorter day hikes and I took lots of photos. I posted many of them on iNaturalist. I also used their Seek app to identify many of these.

There were a lot of these beetles running around on the trail, often in pairs. I'm not sure if the pairs were fighting or mating. They turned out to be Fiery Hunter Beetles which are endangered. They hunt caterpillars and worms.

Fiery Hunter Beetle ?

There were quite a few butterflies and moths around.

Spear-marked black moth ?

An interesting moth on the side of a building. I think it's a Spotted Tussock moth. I photographed a Rusty Tussock moth caterpillar last summer.

Spotted Tussock Moth ?

Canadian Tiger Swallowtail

There were a number of these caterpillars around. It think they are Great Tiger moth caterpillars. The adult moths are quite fancy.

Great Tiger Moth ?

There were lots of dragonflies on the Boundary Bog trail. The most common were these Chalk-fronted Corporals:

Chalk-fronted Corporal ?

I think this next one was a Variegated Meadowhawk:

Variegated Meadowhawk

Some interesting flies that looked a lot like wasps at first glance - a Woolly-tailed Marsh Fly and a Wasp-like Falsehorn.

Woolly-tailed Marsh Fly

Wasp-llike Falsehorn

Of course, lots of interesting plants as well, although that isn't my specialty. There were lots of Marsh Marigolds which I know from the pond at Innovation Place.

Marsh Marigold

The bright color of this Red Raspberry Slime Mold caught my eye.

Red Raspberry Slime Mold

This Crown-tipped Coral Fungus wasn't as colorful, but interesting looking.

Crown-tipped Coral Fungus

Lots of Water Horsetails:

Water Horsetail ?

I didn't realize at first that these odd looking flowers belonged to the pitcher plants. I read recently that pitcher plants trap quite a few salamanders.

Purple Pitcher Plant

I even spotted some Labrador Tea, which I didn't realize was a kind of rhododendron. Who would have thought that Saskatchewan had rhododendrons. (Sorry, not a great photo.)

Labrador Tea ?

A couple more bog plants - Bogbean and Bog Wintergreen:

Bogbean

Bog Wintergreen

We see lots of Prairie Lilies in gardens, but it was nice to see some wild ones:

wild Prairie Lily

Last but not least, a couple of bigger animals:

Elk

White-tailed deer

Once again, all of these were taken with the Olympus EM-1 with the 12-200 lens. I love the small size and versatility of this combination.

See all 49 photos in this album

No comments:

Post a Comment