Tuesday, April 06, 2021

Spring Wanders

It's always a joy to see life returning after our sterile winters. This house sparrow looks like a tight fit in the birdhouse. Usually it's smaller house wrens that use them.

House Sparrow in birdhouse

I usually see our neighborhood squirrel about half a block down the alley, but occasionally it comes to visit our bird feeder. (Or at least I assume it's the same one.)

neighborhood squirrel

I've never noticed these seeds before. My first thought was that they looked a bit like milkweed, but I think they are Spreading Dogbane. (related to milkweed) There were lots of them along the river. I'm curious how the flowers turn into these long thin pods packed full of seeds.

seeds

Usually the first butterflies I see and photograph in the spring are Mourning Cloaks. This year it was something different. I think this is a Comma butterfly. I'm not sure which one.

butterfly (Comma?)

I did see a few Mourning Cloaks as well, but they weren't cooperative.

Mourning Cloak butterfly

The crocuses are continuing to emerge. The flowers should open soon if the weather stays warm.

Prairie Crocus

In the winter it's mostly Common Goldeneye's on the river, but they are soon replaced by Mallards in the spring.

pair of Mallard ducks

Of course, the Richardson's Ground Squirrels (aka "gophers") are out and about. I haven't seen any young ones yet, but they should be coming out soon.

Richardsons ground squirrels

This time of year, the geese and ducks gather on the island above the weir. This is often where I spot the pelicans first, but no sign of them yet.

spring gathering

The trees are starting to flower. They may not be what most people think of as "flowers" but I enjoy them.

catkins

And a parting shot of one of our ubiquitous geese.

Canada Goose

No comments:

Post a Comment