Saturday, October 31, 2020

210

I ran 210 km in October, my highest month this year (and probably for quite a few years). Considering October included snow and rain and below average temperatures, I'm happy with that. Curiously, October was also the peak (of 160 km) for the 12 previous months. Maybe it's because I know winter is fast approaching.

I've averaged roughly 50 km per week for the last three months. That's getting hard to get in only three runs per week. I can do it with say 12 + 12 + 26 but it's easier to fit in an additional one or two easy 5 km runs e.g. 10 + 5 + 10 + 25.

Covid has actually been good for my running. With no travel and fewer other distractions, I've been a lot more consistent than most years. Over the last 12 months (which included some pre-Covid travel, I've averaged 30 km per week, whereas the previous 12 months I only averaged 20 km per week.

I'm also happy that at the same time I've managed to increase my pace a fair bit. That might be due to getting in more mileage. Or it might be a matter of breaking out of the rut I'd gotten into with my "standard" pace.

Mostly I'm happy that my body is handling it well. Touch wood and cross my fingers, my feet and knees etc. have been good. It wasn't that long ago that my IT band or feet problems made running even 5 km a painful experience. It's a good lesson - it would have been easy to give up and decide I just wasn't up to it, that I was too old.

PS. The cryptic titles of just numbers are partly a reminder to myself that numbers by themselves are meaningless.

No comments:

Post a Comment