Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Around the Pond

The windy cloudy day with intermittent showers kept people away from gardens at Innovation Place so I enjoyed a peaceful lunch by the pond.

There have been a couple of mallard ducks hanging around the pond. I don't think they nested there, probably too much traffic for that.

Mallard pair

The male got a little nervous if I got too close.

Mallard pair

The dramatic sky made for some good reflections around the water lilies.

water lilies

There are always interesting flowers around.

flowers by the pond

Seek suggests this is a magnolia.

Magnolia flower

There are less hibiscus this year, but more bougainvillea. I like them both. Of course, small bougainvillea bushes in pots isn't quite the huge masses of them like in Mexico.

And lilies and irises, of course.

lily

Iris

water lilies

And a zillion water striders skating around on the pond. This is the most abundant I've seen them. On the other hand, I haven't been seeing any fishing spiders for some reason.

water strider

I've also been looking for crab spiders in the flowers. I was heading back to my office and I glanced at the roses by the door, thinking of the ones my parents had beside the house when I was a kid. I noticed a bumblebee on a flower. Except it wasn't moving. That caught my attention - bees seldom stop moving. I looked closer and sure enough it had been caught by a crab spider. The spider itself was mostly hidden. It always amazes me how a relatively small spider can kill much larger prey.

bee caught by crab spider

See all 19 photos in this album.

To learn more about the nature around you, try Nature Companion, the website/app my sister Penny and I developed.

No comments:

Post a Comment