Friday, June 14, 2019

Visitor

I caught some movement out of the corner of my eye and looked up to see a woodpecker on a tree next to our campsite. Of course, by the time I got my camera it was gone. The tree was riddled with holes though, so I thought it might be back. Sure enough a bit later it returned, helpfully announcing its arrival with a loud cry. But again, as soon as I moved it would circle to the opposite side of the tree, and when I followed it would fly away.

Red-naped Sapsucker

I gave up and was sitting in the van reading when I heard its cry again. This time I didn't get out of the van and just poked my camera out the door. I managed to get a few shots. It returned a few more times and I snuck a few more shots. But the evening light was fading and the first shots were the best.

Red-naped Sapsucker

I think it's a Red-naped Sapsucker based on the red throat. They are closely related to red-breasted and yellow-bellied sapsuckers.

No comments:

Post a Comment