Sunday, October 21, 2018

Northern Flicker

Red-shafted Northern Flicker

I heard tapping above me in a tree and looked to see what was making the sound. It turned out to be a Northern Flicker (red shafted). I had a hard time getting any photos because of all the branches and leaves in the way. I gave up and wandered around a bit. When I came back it was lower in the tree.

Red-shafted Northern Flicker

A bit later I spotted it on the ground (where I'd normally expect to see them). Although they are a kind of woodpecker, they mostly eat ants and other insects on the ground. It almost looks like a pose amongst the flowers.

Red-shafted Northern Flicker

It was obviously well aware of me, but didn't seem too worried as long as I didn't try to get too close.

Red-shafted Northern Flicker

Beautiful birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment