Saturday, November 24, 2012

Stuff That Matters

Warm Sky, Cold Hands 2

The other day one of Shelley's friends complimented some of my photographs and said I was in the wrong business.

My immediate response was "Hard to make any money in photography."

Followed by slapping myself (figuratively).

What happened to the guy who goes around telling people to follow their dreams and do what they love, money secondary?

Honestly, I love photography, but I love it as a hobby. I don't think I'd enjoy doing it full time, or trying to make a living at it.

But it made me think. I'm not sure just doing what you love is enough. It's definitely better than doing something you hate. But what if what you love is eating ice cream? Should you make a life of that?

I think if you want to be happy with your life you also want to do something that counts. Or as Tim O'Reilly says, "work on stuff that matters"

I don't feel like I've done as well on that front. It's a bit of a stretch to say my company's software is saving energy by helping streamline the transportation industry. It's part of why I started EcoFriendly Sask. I'm not sure that's enough, but it's something.

Warm Sky, Cold Hands

No comments:

Post a Comment