Sunday, April 21, 2013

Print of the Week

Sunrise over Carmen Island, from Loreto, Baja, Mexico.

Baja sunrise
(Click to view larger)


When Shelley would get up early to go for a run before it got too hot, I would head for the beach with my camera. The island made the shots a little more interesting than just sky and water. I like the reflections in the water as much as the clouds.

I took the plunge and printed on 17x22" paper for the first time (Epson Exhibition Fiber again). I was happy with how it turned out. I used Perfect Resize to resize it to 360dpi before printing, although that probably didn't make a big difference in this case. (4700x3100 => 7900x5200). I tried tweaking it with the Nik software that I recently bought (the price has been reduced by 70%), but I decided I was happy enough with it just from Lightroom.

I always struggle with how to adjust the color on these kinds of shots. You want rich colors, but not to look too gaudy. To complicate it, actual prints are not as brightly colored as backlit screens.

See also: other print posts

No comments:

Post a Comment